ExpressVPN recently introduced a new feature. It now allows a user to use up to 5 devices at the same time. Formerly, it only allowed three devices. ExpressVPN acknowledges that people nowadays access the internet through their smartphone, a tablet, a notebook, and a desktop, and usually all at the same time.
Using the internet is a convenience and a risk. The most popular apps on mobiles and computers are social media sites and services. This convenience masks a problem for all users. Using social media, and the internet, in general, leaves the user open to attacks and infiltrations. It is possible for emails to be intercepted, for personal information to be gathered and for privacy to be compromised.
One solution to minimize these risks is the use of a virtual private network (VPN). ExpressVPN is one of the widest used VPN services in the world. It also happens to be one of the most secure.
One feature of a VPN service is end-to-end encryption. Encrypted data leaves the computer or mobile device and is decrypted at the VPN server. This is a VPN tunnel which ensures that the data is secure and unreadable while in transit between the client and the server. Once it reaches the server, the data is then routed to its actual destination, along with other internet requests from other VPN clients. Due to a large number of data streams flowing from the VPN server, there is no more need for encryption, even though it passes through the public networks.
Due to its nature and structure, the VPN service provides plenty of benefits:
- Watching Streaming from Anywhere in the world – There are some interesting shows in other countries. For instance, not all US shows on Netflix are available when you are located in other countries. However, with a VPN, it is possible to watch US shows while you are in Europe. Using the VPN masks your IP address and shows your location as being in New Jersey or Florida, or wherever the VPN server is located.
- It hides the client’s location and IP address – the user’s data only goes unencrypted when it leaves the VPN server. The data then uses the server’s IP address and location. The client’s actual location and IP address are hidden from the internet.
- Location masking – Some websites cannot be accessed by users who are located outside a certain region. By using a VPN server located within that country, it is possible to access the websites which were formerly off-limits. This is particularly useful in countries where there is internet censorship.
- Data encryption by default – the data which leaves the client can only be decrypted by the server. The user data is kept secure with the use of the highest level of encryption and other technologies.
- Data leaks – There is a risk of data leaks when using public networks, like those used in internet cafes, malls and coffee shops. Hackers might be able to access your computer because you use the same network. Encrypting the data ensures that even if there is a data leak, the information cannot be used because they do not have the encryption key.
- Spying – Some countries spy on their citizens with the help of treaties with other countries, encrypted data via VPN services help protect the users from this form of spying.