The Need to Use the Best VPN for Kodi
The market is now bursting with different models and brands of VPNs, however only a few are compatible to be used with Kodi. To find out which ones are the best, here’s your ultimate guide of the top Kodi VPNs in the market.
Top 5 Best Kodi VPN
Though there are plenty of VPNs that you can find out there, only a limited number is suitable for use with Kodi. The VPNs in this article are chosen according to the following criteria:
- Reliability and speed
- Compatibility with a wide array of Kodi services
- Easy to install and use
- Trustworthy security and logging policy
Here are the best Kodi VPNs for 2021:
NordVPN(Best VPN for Kodi)
NordVPN provides a network that has over 5500 servers in more than 59 countries.
Most of these servers can unblock geo-locked streaming services such as Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix.
The great thing about NordVPN is you can manually set it up by using a variety of different protocols. Moreover, the company utilizes 256-bit encryption and follows a tight no logs policy.
Speeds are reliable and connections are flawless.
However, the default map interface might not work well among users who control Kodi using a remote control, but you can still change it to display the available servers in a list form. The apps are available for Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows users.
- Provides private, encrypted connections every single time
- A firm zero-logs policy that is suitable among users who have high regards for their privacy and security
- Suitable with Kodi and can unblock the majority of popular streaming sites
- Remarkable service with exceptional streaming speeds
- Impossible to select individual servers, can only pick their locations
- The desktop app is unmanageable and takes a lot of time to get used to
Being the oldest VPN service provider in the industry, PureVPN still performs well and delivers outstanding results.
Even if the company had faced several controversies over the past years, many are amazed by their dedication to operating a solid VPN service. PureVPN had its fair share of good and bad experiences.
From upswept praises to nasty reviews given by unsatisfied consumers after it was stated that they expose IP addresses – this company still stood strong and is now recognized as one of the forerunners in this field.
The reputation of this Hong Kong-based VPN service provider was tarnished was back in 2017 when they faced a huge data logging scandal. With this, they received a lot of negative reviews and comments from the community and advocates of privacy and security.
Despite this, the company strived hard to fix their broken ways and is now asking consumers to trust them once more. After all, anyone deserves to be given a second chance.
PureVPN has been servicing consumers with wonderful VPN connections for more than a decade. The VPN software of this company was first introduced way back in 2006 and it was the simplest and most basic software that ever graced the field of VPN services.
Furthermore, PureVPN is considered as a sub-company, the main company is known as GZ Systems and it is based in Hong Kong. It operates 2000 servers scattered across different parts of the world in more than 2134 server locations.
This means, thousands of IP addresses, which is quite great if you compare it with other VPN services. And if you think this is all the interesting fact about PureVPN, you’re mistaken.
This pioneering company doesn’t rent their servers, instead, they own every single one of it. This is why the user’s IP address and information are extremely secured.
- Offers reinforcement for Torrenting
- Super cost-effective 2-year plant
- Supports different platforms
- Reliable download and streaming speeds
- Lacks iOS app
- Doesn’t operate in China
Ivacy VPN is well-known for introducing the split tunneling technology for VPNs. Generally, this innovation enables users to choose which apps they can link through the VPN and which will pass through the ISP.
Apart from this, another one-of-a-kind feature of Ivacy VPN is it has a downloadable version that is specifically created for Playstation 3 and 4 and Xbox. Given that game consoles have largely evolved over the past years, they are now given access to the internet, which means that they are exposed to hackers.
Ivacy VPN is a company that’s headquartered in Singapore, which follows the 5 Eyes Legal Jurisdiction, making most users doubt this VPN service provider. But despite this, they have a tough zero-logs policy and affirm to have the most reliable security.
- Security. Ivacy utilizes a kill switch to safeguard your data and prevent them from leaking online. It only takes a few seconds for a hacker to get your info. The kill switch provided by Ivacy is the automatic protection that you need the most.
- Includes connections to Netflix and Hulu
- Easily downloadable in all platforms
- Available in more than 100 locations
- 256-bit encryption
- Follows the 5 Eyes Legal Jurisdiction
- Lacks zero-log policy
- Not that reliable
CyberGhost VPN classifies its servers according to its location and by which kind of video streaming service the customer wishes to access. This particular feature is helpful for those who are using Kodi to stream from major streaming platforms such as BBC iPlayer.
However, it doesn’t have the Linux app and its Android version is only accessible from Google Play.
This means that devices that operate via OpenELEC or a rendition of Android that doesn’t have Google play will need to manually set up CyberGhost servers for Kodi VPN use.
On the positive side, CyberGhost has improved and upgraded over the past years. It is now a great tool that delivers remarkable output when unblocking streaming channels. Moreover, it also has an all-new additional fleet of servers to its continuously growing network.
CyberGhost offers great speed and powerful protection – perfect for achieving uninterrupted and fast streaming. In addition to this, it has apps that are available on different platforms including macOS, Android, Windows, and iOS.
- Quick and trustworthy VPN service
- Compatible with Kodi
- An amazing VPN provider with low-cost price
- Allows users to choose servers according to the site that they want to unblock
- Seamlessly unblocks the most renowned streaming platforms
- P2P and Torrenting doesn’t operate on all servers
- Requires manual configuration for users of Linux
Best VPN for Streaming
Tons of VPNs are available but the above five providers stood out among the rest. They are the best VPNs that work great among Kodi users. They are also compatible with different devices, such as OpenELEC and Android.
If you’re still undecided on which VPN service to pick, here’s a quick guide on how you can configure a Kodi VPN. For Kodi users out there, here are several factors that you need to think about when selecting a VP. These include:
Device compatibility – see to it that the VPN you pick is compatible with any device you have installed in your Kodi. If you happen to have an Android-based device like Amazon Fire TV Stick, for instance, then you have a huge selection of options. Some Android versions and operating systems do not have Kodi support and you might need to call support for help in setting up Kodi. However, for OpenELEC users, options are a bit limited.
Speed – quick connections to VPN servers support flawless and continuous streaming. On the other hand, a slow VPN will result in consistent buffering and lengthy loading times for Kodi users. Faster speeds enable you to stream videos that have better and higher quality.
Privacy – powerful encryption and zero-logs policy block government agencies, your ISP, and hackers from prying on your existing connection. Moreover, a trustworthy VPN stops anyone from viewing what and where you are streaming. Once your VPN connection has sufficient privacy, you can guarantee that your Kodi streaming activities remain private and secure.
Capacity to unblock region-locked video – the majority of official video content are region-locked, which means that only users from specific countries can stream them. With reliable VPNs for Kodi, you can access even region-locked videos without any hassle.
This is how it works: the VPN connects to your internet location through another location, which successfully bypasses the limitations. There are streaming providers that decoded this scheme that’s why they established tighter and more protected measures to prevent it from happening.
However, you can be certain that the best VPN can pass through and unblock them.
Customer Support – Whether you have inquiries, it pays to know that you can contact the manufacturer anytime to answer your questions. Ideal customer support should be 24/7 but not all service providers offer such.
This is why it is vital to choose one that you can contact 24 hours for 7 days a week. It will be extra helpful when you install a VPN, as well as for configuration and troubleshooting.
Easy to use – no matter how fancy or expensive the VPN subscription that you bought, if you don’t know how to use it, it is still useless. Manual Kodi setup for other devices might be necessary. All the best VPN discussed in this article provide a money-back guarantee.
This will give you a chance to test out the VPNs for Kodi services they offer before you could make your purchase. Take note that buying a VPN service for Kodi is a huge commitment and you need to make sure that you get the best bang for your buck.
How to Use the Best Kodi VPN
Kodi is a completely legitimate open-source software engineered by a nonprofit group. You can easily access Kodi from their official website and you have the right to download and install it on any device that you prefer.
You can also utilize their licensed addons to upgrade your experience. Take note that it’s not illegal to distribute or purchase devices that already have pre-installed Kodi, as long as they don’t have any third-party addons that support streaming from illicit sources.
For instance, the boxes from WeTek is a popular choice among consumers today since it has a safe install of VPNs for Kodi without extra third-party addons and operates under OpenELEC Linux distro.
Additionally, Kodi users might face legal problems if they expound Kodi’s selection of streaming sources by utilizing illicit, third-party addons, or if they purchase “Kodi boxes” with pre-installed addons from third-party distributors. These distributors might be pirated IPTV streams, websites, and torrents that generate content without asking permission from the original copyright owner.
However, users are still having a difficult time deciding which addons are streaming from legal sources and illegal sources. This usually happens in Kodi boxes that are pre-configured.
There was a case in the UK where a man was charged £250,000 for distributing Kodi devices that are packed with numerous addons, which streamed from illicit sources. The Kodi boxes were deemed as 100% legal despite the man’s claims.
When using your computer or mobile devices, the simplest method to utilize a Kodi VPN is to install the app that the VPN provider distributed to you. To do this, you have to minimize the Kodi then install it on your existing operating system. Here are the steps on how to configure a Kodi VPN:
- Download the VPN app and install it from the official website of your chosen provider or a major app store such as Google or Apple Play.
- Once installed, open the app and sign in using your Kodi account information.
- Choose a location that you prefer and tap the Connect button.
- After the connection was set up, you can now open Kodi again and utilize it as you would normally do. Every traffic generated on your device will pass through the VPN.
Best VPN for BitTorrent
At this point, you might’ve already familiarized yourself with what a VPN is. The basic version when it comes to torrenting is that your VPN connection will secure you in two different ways. First, your VPN conceals your actual IP address.
All the third party downloaders – people who share a similar file as you – will only see the IP address provided by the VPN server. Once you select a protected torrenting VPN provider that allows P2P, rest assured that your actual identity is masked online. Second, your ISP can’t monitor and identify the file that you are downloading since the connection that runs between your VPN server and personal computer is highly-encrypted.
Everything that you will download will be linked to the IP address that is given by the VPN server and not your real address. This protects against possible copyright infringement issues. Some ISPs impede P2P traffic.
Once they determine that you are utilizing BitTorrent protocol, they will instantly decrease and limit your bandwidth. They might even perform this for legal torrents thinking that they are illegal.
This unfortunate circumstance will be prevented if you will use a reliable VPN since the server hides any possibility that will reveal that you are utilizing BitTorrent from your ISP.
However, always be cautious because no matter how secure the server that you are using, “anonymous torrenting” doesn’t exist.
Though a VPN will cloak your true IP address from third-party downloaders, your VPN provider is still fully-aware of your original IP address. It pays to choose a zero-logs VPN provider.
What are the factors that make up a good VPN for torrenting?
- Enables P2P – of all the factors mentioned here, this is probably the most important factor to pay attention to.
- Log Policy – if a VPN sports a good zero-logs policy, this means that they won’t record any of your data or activity online, even if they will be required to do so. Always keep in mind that even VPNs provide maximum security, there’s no such thing as anonymous torrenting.
- Kill switch – to privatize torrenting, it is vital to utilize a kill switch every single time. Doing this will stop anything that you download from continuing and prevent your actual IP address from being exposed if the VPN experiences some problems. Reactivated firewalls can easily trace whenever a VPN connection malfunctions and discontinue your internet access to counteract your IP address from being revealed.
The best ones to pick are those that are firewall-based. These types utilize firewall rules to stop any connection from wondering beyond the VPN tunnel.
Always remember that there are firewall-based that only work if the VPN app is operating, and can stop operating if the app malfunctions. Others opt for Mac/Windows built-in firewall since they will continue to operate even if the VPN app collapses.
- Port forwarding – if the Kodi VPN provider that you pick makes use of a NAT firewall, port forwarding is one feature that would be helpful to you.
- Speed – it works like this: the faster the speed of your internet connection, the quicker your torrents will carry out downloads. Utilizing a VPN will normally bottleneck the speed of your internet, however, if you link it to a server that’s near your location, this deceleration will be minimized. But for security purposes, if you reside in the same location as your servers, it is highly-recommended to use a VPN server situated in a country that doesn’t demand VPNs to record and keep tabs on your online activities.
Though you can install and use Kodi on the operating system of your computers such as macOS or Windows, a lot of Kodi users like to use another device as their home media center. Generally, these separate devices are called Kodi “boxes” and they have two primary types: Linux and Android.
Kodi VPN has a version in Android apps that come with downloadable APK files to make downloading easy and trouble-free since you don’t have to bother to go to Google Play. However, even if Kodi Android versions vary from VPN to VPN, most of them operate fine and smoothly.